Saturday, June 14, 2008

I have experienced the BFE

If you don't know what BFE means, don't worry. You don't need to know.

I'm losing count of the days of the week, the time, and the day number I've been in Cairo. But it's great. I bought a watch at Walmart for $6USD before I left, and I'm not using it anymore. Maybe I can trade it in Kenya...

I'm going to give you a quick run down of what I've been doing recently. After blogging last I hit the sack, and when I woke up I went on a tour of the Nile. Because I'm not my mother I didn't pay money to see a botanical garden, but opted to cruise around and swim in the Nile river. It was surprisingly cold and I am not so surprisingly pale. Oh - and the New Zealander was with me.

After this I boarded my felucca and took off on my voyage down the Nile. Guess who was onboard? The two French-Canadians and the three French ladies from the day previous. Onboard the felucca was nice and relaxing. We slept onboard and ate our meals onboard. It was awesome. We stopped and swam on several occastions. We played cards, napped, ate, napped, ate, talked, napped, and slept. It was a rough lifestyle. Our felluca crew included Captain Atta, his son cook Muhammed, his son cabin-boy Kareem. Also joining us was "Captain Cool" as he called himself but should have been called "Captain Crackhead" for he was insane.

I had the evening on the felucca, the whole next day, and the third morning we woke up and went into town. We took tucktucks into the shantytown - the kind you see on the Amazing Race. (It's funny how in Egypt all buildings aren't finished. We couldn't decide if it is to have the possibility to add on, or due to laziness.) Anyway, in town was crazy low-tech. It was interesting - very different. After this we drove to a couple of temples - first the Kom Ombo Temple, followed by Edfu Temple. They very nice. (Be patient on pictures!)

After that we took the van to Luxor, Egypt. Onboard the Felucca I met an Australian and some more Canadians and some Americans. They were also in the bus. When we got to Luxor I checked into my fancypants 3-star hotel. It's probably the nicest place I plan on staying on this trip. But they've been helpful and they have a pool so I'm happy. I ate Egyptian potato chips and Egyptain soda for dinner (because I'm cheap) and passed out early.

I woke up today at 6am to get ready and pack and leave for the day. I first toured the West Bank, which included the Valley of the Queens, Valley of the Kings, Matshtsut Temple, and the Colossi of Memnon. (If you care, you can Google/Wikipedia this stuff) I didn't see King Tut's tomb because it was a rip off, but I did see a mummy fetus - the weirdest thing I've seen on this trip yet. In the three tombs I did go in it was quite impressive how the paint was still on the walls. These ancient people really wanted their kings to have an after-life and created these elaborate tombs. I don't think they knew that thousands of years later their ansestors would be ripping off tourists.

After these we went for a sandwhich lunch in Luxor, and I hurried back to the hotel to leave for my 3 oclock tour. I said goodbye to everybody, thinking that would be the last time - but I've learned that I'll probably run into all these people again. I then toured the East Bank which included the Karnak Temple and the Luxor Temple. It it crazy how developed it is around these ancient temples. It makes me very mad that these people have these national treasures and 1) Don't care 2) Don't respect them at all (litter is every where and if you know my I hate litterbugs) and 3) Take advantage of.

The temples were great - huge and beautiful. But I'm templed out. It is funny how Christians have gone into so many of these Egpytian temples and defaced to make them into Christain churches. (Stay tuned for pictures!)

After that I was informed that I'm taking the bus at 23 to Cairo. That's late. And I know it will be late to Luxor, and really late to Cairo. But now I'm prepared. I then ran into the French Canadians again! They are charging my camera in their room (because I've checked out).

I'm going to blog again right now the good and bad things about Egypt overall. Get excited!

2 comments:

Pops said...

Hi Trev,
I'm sure BFE means Bolliger Finding Egypt. Sounds like Egypt is a lot like the Bahamas, filled with rip-off artists. I'm glad to hear you can see thru them. I hope you were able to get a Pic. of you floating in the Nile.
Have fun & Be Safe.
Love, Dad

Connie said...

OK what is BFE? Don't tell me if it's naughty. I'm glad I didn't see the pictures of the felucca and 'Captain Cool" till you were off the boat. I sure felt better about you sleeping in the church and Pastor Herald than sleeping on the Nile in that boat and Captain Cool. Let's see a smile :) Love Mom

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.TrevorBolliger.com
and update your bookmarks.