Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My second and third days in Paris

Tuesday I was offered the opportunity by Pastor Herald to go up to the countryside with some old ladies from church (his words). We left at 10h00 and I got to experience the close proximity all Parisien drivers face each day. One and a half hours later we finally got to the toxn of Hombleux. At the house of the former pastor's widowed wife I was shown the backyard and garden. In the garden there was a cherry tree, and the old ladies started picking them right off the tree and eating them. None of the, spoke English and my French is a lot worse than I thought, so it was hard to communicate. We then sat down and had ourselves a good 3 hour French lunch. It started with a local rum drink, followed by melon, then some bread, then sausage and three sides (one was ,ade from potatoes, another carrots; the third tasted like ranch dressing. This was followed by a cheese platter and wine, folloed by ice cream, followed by coffee (black), and was finished with pie.

Herald and I then walked through the town and I snapped some photos. On the way to the village we passed many other small villages, all which we built around a central church. While we were walking Herald told me that in his head he envisions that all people who don't live in cities and far away in the countryside are uncivilized and eat children. I had quite a laugh.

When we got back I walked around town again. I wasn't hungry so I just had something from the bakery (If I don't note where I ate a meal it was either skipped or something small from a bakery). I took photos that you can view later.

Day 3
Today I slept in because I was still exhausted. I then took the subway to Les Catacombes. Dating to around 1777, they are underground tunnels and graveyards. Basially when they had too many bodies (or needed to develop on graveyards) they moved the bones to the catacombes. There were millions of bones and it really gave me a time perspective. People have been around for a long time, and time goes on after them.

I then took the train to Notre Dame. This is the most touristy church of all time. I kinda felt bad about taking pictures inside a church; but then I remembered all the times my mother was sacreligious and snapped photos of me in church. It was quite a sight, but the best part I had to pay 4,80€ for: a view of Paris from the top of Notre Dame. More people spoke English up there, but I continued my act of not being a tourist (I'm "experiencing" the world, not touring it) by not talking.

After that breathtaking view I found my way to the Centre Pompidou. It was very cool, but I understand why some Parisians didn't like it: it looked nothingn like any other buildings.

Next on my agenda was Les Halles. I was exhausted so I took off real fast back to the train to the church.

Paris, France - Day 2

2 comments:

Connie said...

You didn't drink the rum and wine did you?

Swooping Bald Eagle said...

Way to go Trevor! Breaking bread and getting drunk with a bunch of old ladies!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.TrevorBolliger.com
and update your bookmarks.