Saturday, June 28, 2008

I've finally gotten a grip on this traveling thing...

Today while riding the bus back from Sri Racha I realized that I am getting pretty good at this traveling thing. I understand that I'm going to be bored a lot, and that no matter how much I want things to work out, that I always have to play with what I'm dealt.

Anyway, let's backtrack...

Upon arriving in Bangkok, I had a terrible airport experience. I am used to buying visas when entering a country so I assumed I should wait in the "Visas upon arrival" line that I saw when I got off the flight. I waited in line for about 20 minutes, then the lady told me I needed a photo of myself. I made my way over to the photo machine and took some terrible photos of myself and paid the unheard-of fee of $6USD for these terrible photos. I then waited in the visas line only to be told that I didn't need a visa because I'm American. 40 minutes later I walk to find my bag, the last one on the conveyor belt. At least I didn't have to pay 1000baht (30USD) for a visa.

I then bought a Thai sim-card for my phone for about 3USD. I called home to let them know I am alright, and then called SERVAS people. After calling abotu 20 or so I finally got a hit. I gave the phone to a cabbie who wrote down directions in Thai to give to another cabbie. I then paid a decent price for a ride halfway across this huge city to Mao's apartment. Mao was nice - she bought me lunch and dinner and drove me to the post office. Her apartment - however, did not have the same characteristic. It was about 20F degrees hotter inside the house and the water pressure was terrible. I can't remember the last time I had a regular shower with running hot water and a shower curtain that lasted over 2 minutes... Cairo? I can't complain - I was staying for free.

When I first walked into her house, I knocked over her fan. What a great way to say hello. I fixed it and all was well. Thai people also have indoor shoes and outdoor shoes. I still have yet to get used to this, but a big pile of sandals by a door helps me remember.

After arriving, taxing to Mao's and getting situated at her place, there was really no time left in the day. I walked around the neighborhood a little and went to bed hot and sweaty at about 9. The next morning I woke up and we had breakfast. I packed my bag (by now I'm a pro. I'm used to staying at places for only one night) and was out the door. I was a man with a plan, and my plan involved an island.

Car. Foot. Taxi. Bus. TukTuk. Ferry. Foot. Motorcycle. That is how I got to my bungalow on Ko Shichang island. It wasn't too expensive to get there - about 9USD. If you look at it on a map, you'll notice it is quite close to Bangkok. I checked into my room and walked to the only swimable beach. When I arrived I had sweated off all the food Mao had fed me, and was ready for the cool water. Too bad it was about as warm as a hot tub. It was still cooler than the air so I can't really complain. I walked back to my bungalow on the other side of the island, had dinner (nothing worthwhile blogging about) and hit the sack. At about 3am the electricity on the island went out. This included the fan that was keeping me from boiling to death. I opened the windows hoping for a breeze but all that it did was invite every bug on the island into my room. Because I couldn't sleep with them buzzing in my ear (worse than the Cairo airport? I haven't decided) I got out my earplugs and pushed them in so far the only thing I could hear was my heart beating. Ahhhh..

When I woke up I packed again (imagine...) and moved to the bungalows by Tam Pang Beach. I figured if I was going to be spending my time there anyway I could cut to the chase and move there - plus the price was the same. That entire day was spent swimming, laying in the sun, napping in my powerless room, walking to the top of the island for cellphone reception, and eating. For dinner I had a spicy shrimp salad which was quite spicy. I didn't want to appear weak to the lady who served me who didn't think I could eat it so I ate all of it. Except the tails and peppers. By then the power was back on so I went to sleep with the fan on high.

The next day I woke up and decided to go hiking. After all, I'd need to find a high place on this darn island if I wanted to get reception to call my mother on her birthday. I first tried to shower but the water wasn't running at the resort. I wore long pants and socks and shoes to keep the high grass and bugs off of me. Good decision, even though I lost about 20lbs from sweat. I will refrain from making any other references to Lost except this one: The island was weird, and I didn't understand any of the old stuff on it. From atop the tall hill/mountain I could see huge white silos (wait for pictures). There were all sorts of strange buildings that were run down and power stations and lines running into the ocean that made me question what purpose they could serve. I went back and swam because I was exhausted, then hiked back to a cellphone reception spot and called mother while I watched the sunset. It is weird being 12 hours ahead, but much easier to remember than 8 or 7. Anyway, I kept getting disconnected because I was on an island, but eventually I managed to sputter out "Happy Birthday I love you."

When I got back the power was out again so I ate in the dark. I ordered seafood soup, which turned out to be a big mistake. There were fish bones and tenticles and weird stuff in it, and I only had about 4 bites before I called it quits. It tasted like sour grapes and vinegar, so I couldn't even drink the broth. I showered and slept.

The next morning I woke up and heeding my mother's advice to get off the island if I was bored, I checked out of the bungalow and took a tuktuk to the dock, ferry to Sri Racha, and bus from Sri Racha back to Bangkok. That is when I had my realization about traveling.

But back to the resort. I was the only white person on that island. I saw some French people and some Japaneese, but the island was run by Thai people for Thai people. Mao had told me that Thai people rarely travel because of job security, so they travel within Thailand. I'm not complaining though. At times I was the only person swimming or eating at the entire resort. And I'm used to be alonely.

From the bus I called another SERVAS person and took a taxi to his work - at a Suzuki dealership. Motorcycles are so popular in Thailand it is hard to avoid riding one at one point. I was offered to check one out on Koh Sichang, but I knew that would be a recipie for disaster. Anyway "T" has already bought me lunch and has reserved an entire apartment for 400 baht (12USD) for me to use tonight. AND it has air conditioning.

I wanted to visit Chatuchak Market today, but as I said before I have to pay with what I'm dealt. So now I'm sitting in a Suzuki dealership waiting for T to get off work. Using free internet. In the AC.

4 comments:

Pops said...

Ah, you bring back fond memories of my time in Thailand . Very hot, no A/C, tons of bugs & little lizards everywhere, and little old Thai ladies squatting & cooking some mysterious foods on the sidewalks. We got off the military base several times, but never found any Thai people that spoke English . Times have changed. Stay away from any food that has something moving in it.
Be safe & have fun.
Love, Dad

Carol Knipp said...

I'm sure your phone call was your Mom's favorite birthday gift! And you really went to such effort to make sure you could call her - what a good son you are!
I'm enjoying your blog so much - you make it all come alive. I love your impressions you share.
Blessings,
Carol K

Em_ell_ee said...

...but sour grapes and vinegar are my FAVORITE! Pics of Thailand are amazing, I'm still jealous.

Connie said...

It was a wonderful birthday present to be watching the same sun rise that you were watching set half way around the world while talking to you! However your view was way better than mine. I love you pictures - you can be a photographer as well as a writter for Discovery channel. I'm am somewhat relieved that you headed for a more comfortable (for your mom) culture. Love mom

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.TrevorBolliger.com
and update your bookmarks.