Tuesday, June 17, 2008

If you prayed, thanks. An angel showed up.

I'm 2 hours away from leaving Egypt and this blasted airport. They will probably be the slowest yet.

Today was the worst day of my trip by far and the first (and hopefully only) time I contemplated going back to the US.

After blogging last night, I tried to find a place to sleep. Unfortunately the part of the airport available to people without tickets is quite small. I had by spying the second floor of the airport where I thought I could get more privacy and less noise. Unfrtunately there was a guard by the staircase. When I finished blogging I pretended to be on my phone still, waiting for him to leave. He knew I wanted to go up there because he'd stopped me before. When he was called by another guard I quickly walked up the stairs and hid behind an unused bar. I waited around to see if he was going to cme find me, but I don't think he cared that much. Some custodians found me and I motioned that I intended to sleep there. They left and brought me back some cardboard to use as a padding from the cold hard tile. I got out my sleeing bag and curled up, trying to hide my eyes from the bright lights that I knew they wouldn't turn off. Worse than the cramped quarters, hard surface, and bright lights was the loudspeaker. It announced every flight that arrived and departed from the airport. It was extremely obnoxious and I considered gnawing off my fingers to use as ear plugs. I did manage to sleep a little on and off for the next 7 hours. If I can sleep through class, I could sleep through this.

I woke up at about 8am and had to use the restroom. I knew that if I went downstairs to use the restroom I wouldn't be able to make it to my hiding spot. I tried to squeeze out an hour of sleep but by 9 I was packed up and practically running to the bathroom. It was the same guard by the stairs, but he didn't say anything.

The rest of the day included looking forward to eating the two pieces of fruit I had from Taher, walking, sitting, walking, sitting, reading an entire book, and trying to sleep. I managed to finds cafe at a well hidden arrival gate with comfy couches. I squeezed out an hour long nap. I also ventured outside and found a shady spot to relax, but the bugs began to sting so I decided brushing my teeth in the public restroom was a good use of time. I'd done it at my dorms in college, but no body else thought I was sane.

At about 6 oclock I ventured to a cafe to charge my phone (thank God for the free wifi, otherwise I'd be dead by boredom.). The seats by the plugs were taken, so I asked a man if I could share his table. I know he was American by his laptop and clothing choice. He glared at me and ignited my request, but a woman at the next table offered to share. I plugged in my iPhone (which Steve Jobs decided to make outdated recently) and started the best conversation I've started yet. I asked where she was flying and she said to Jordan to see her son. After she asked me the same question I told her that I had been in the airport for nearly 20 hours and didn't have any money. Having a son of her own she practically demanded to buy me dinner. When it was all said and done she gave me 50 EP worth of food and 150 EP cash. She was the guardian angel I know my mother prayed for me. She was extremely nice and from Kuwait. It turns out she's a student too, working on her masters in education. She had to leave to catch her flight (due to circumstances she missed her first flight as well). I was greatly blessed to have met her.

At 8:20 - the exact minute possible to begin checking in for my flight, I checked in. I now have 98 minutes to go until I leave and can't wait to reach Kenya - even if I am scared by people warning me of the crimes there. I figured that if Rachel Prevette could handle it, I could too. She's lived there and didn't worry about me being pickpocketed.

I'll write later, and hopefully my next post will contain exciting content rather than a retelling of the most boring day of my life.

4 comments:

Ruth K. said...

Bonnie sent us your blogspot and we love it! Your detailed narratives and pictures both make it seem like we are traveling with you. Except for the 100+ temperatures, we'd enjoy being there. I'm happy to have this to read now and can quit looking at Dean J's blog from UVA! May the angels continue to follow you as your adventures come alive. We'll keep praying for you. Can't wait to read more! Ruth, a/k/a "Bonnie's Mom"

Brittany's Mom said...

Hey Trevor,
Your Mom sent me your blogspot & I am sharing your adventures with my co-worker here at REMAX & with my daughter. In 2009, She will be studying in Limerck, Ireland & then backpacking thru Europe for a month.
I love your sense of humor & the way you are handling the situations you find yourself in. What an awesome guardian angel you have. I am praying for you daily.
Sue Aton - friend of your Mom's

Swooping Bald Eagle said...

Trevor,

Did you implement your Boy Scout survival training skills?

Connie said...

I was praying and my Bible reading for that day was Psalm 57, " He will send help from heaven to save you" and "My confidence is in the LORD." How appropriate! (I don't believe in coincidences.) I was very touched that woman helped you, it would be nice if you could 'pay it forward'- I will be looking for an opportunity to help someone else's son-or daughter. XO Mom

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.TrevorBolliger.com
and update your bookmarks.